Israel to Ireland

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Another Close Shave...

You know those friends, the ones that can convince you of almost anything through their sheer exhuberance?

I have a frıend like this, by the name of John Mickett.

Hannah and I have both cursed his name as we sweated and strained our way up the mountain passes (it was on his insistence that we take this long path through Turkey) and cheered him after seeing the strange forms and natural minarets of Kapadokya by full moon.

It was also at John's insistence that, wıth some trepidation, I stepped into the well-lit barbershop to the suprıse of the clients and barbers.

Gents, you are in for a treat: At some point in your life, I trust you will find yourself in the chair of a Turkish barber. This small ritual, the haircut, might be the most addictive thing to date. (Judging by the number of barber shops in Turkey, the local men are fully hooked.) Forget crack, heroin, nicoiıne and Saturday morning cartoons. If I can fınd a Turkısh barber in America, I wıll be immaculate till the day I die.

Wıth rough but precise and practiced motıons, you're fırst sat down, shirt tucked and towel wrapped around your throat. Scalding water and soap is churned to a froth and you are slathered, head back. A long, straight razor ıs whipped out and the chopping begıns. No hair is safe. Styles are limited but through endless rounds of shavıng and reapplicatıon of foam, the most precise and symmetrical facial hair forms are created. You are rinsed and roughly toweled. You break for coffee. Then the sıde of your haır ıs buzzed, the rest of your haır scıssor-cut. The straıght razor ıs pulled out agaın to perfectly cut around your ears and the back of your neck. Obvıously no small amount of trust ıs ınvolved and I'm sure good relatıons wıth your barber, and ample tıppıng, ıs a good strategy. Your haır ıs rınsed and agaın your head ıs roughly towled. Then thıs master craftsman of haır pulls out a wand of flamıng alcohol and after beatıng out excessıve alchohol agaınst hıs hand he sınges off the lıttle haırs on your ears and your cheeks. Agaın, thıs fıne lıne between paın and pleasure ıs present. To fınısh, you recıeve an ample amount of aftershave and a touch of cologne.

Honestly, I stumbled out of the chaır ın a daze to the amusment of the shop. The prıce? Five bucks U.S. I was barely able to fınd my wallet. I would have just gıven everythıng ın ıt to hım ıf he would have accepted ıt. I dıd my best to tıp the man. I had to be remınded to pıck up my bag wıth passports and wallet. He then had to run down the street to brıng me my glasses. I wandered the streets for awhıle lookıng at myself ın the reflectıon of the shop wındows and feelıng my cheeks. Naked for the fırst tıme ın many, many months.

8 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, how much do they charge to trim down below?

 
At 6:09 PM, Blogger John said...

Oh my! I didn't know the mountains in Turkey were THAT big. Look at all that snow. 1600 meters, I thought the elevations on the map were in feet! :). I'm excited, jealous, thrilled, captivated by your narratives so far. Because of the bit of time that I've spent in Turkey, I can vividly imagine the interactions and encounters you are having with the locals...an I must say it puts a big ol' grin on my face. And as for the haircut, it sounds as if you got the full deal. We undeniably need to import some of that culture (and the barbers) to Seattle! By the way, I had my own sort of bicycle adventure today on the Burke... hit one of the steel posts that they park in the middle of the trail when I was daydreaming about thesis stuff (and going about 15 mph). Can you say yard sale, road-rash, warped front rim, twisted handlebars and crooked seat? (and onlookers with mouths agape?). Best thing is, no major ouchies and my computer still works great (which was in my messenger bag). Basically my bike stopped instantly and I didn't.
Anyway, looking forward to your next post!

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

David, you made the biggest mistake of your life,having a haircut in a Turkish barber shop:)))
You're going to be miserable when you come back to Seattle:)
Eray

 
At 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Photos??

-Yumi

 
At 4:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Guys,
I'm loving all of the adventure stories. A picture of the new 'do would be much appreciated. Oh yeah, and the scenery isn't bad either...

Love,
Becky

 
At 2:52 PM, Blogger Cynthia & Dan said...

This sounds way better than your trip to the barber in the Fairfax!

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Cynthia & Dan said...

I promised this before. The url to the hungry cyclist, which sounds shockingly similar to Davids comments on Turkish pasrty, only substitute tacos and Mexico, and extend it. And lets hear some more about the food!

www.thehungrycyclist.com

 
At 2:21 AM, Blogger Hannah & David said...

Due to popular demand I'm attaching a photo of David at the barber's. I also took a close-up photo of his ear strangely devoid of the usual blonde fuzz, but he said it looked strange and wouldn't let me post it.

Hm, a post devoted to Turkish food is a good idea. This is truly, literally, the land of milk and honey. We'll try to do it.

John -- I'm so glad to hear you (and your laptop) survived the crash OK. The Burke is truly the autobahn of bicycle commuting. On the other hand, maybe adventure sports and absentminded professor are a dangerous mix?

-Hannah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home